Monday, September 16, 2013

Ashtown, Where Angels Fly - Sept 16, 2013




Well, last week may have been my birthday but we had continued celebrations throughout this last week. One such was the rest of my packages arriving and enjoying all their contents. Sadly the matchstick glider did not survive the flight over here, though everything else made it safe and sound...including the glow in the dark ax. Also Thanks to Breanna I also have a steady, unending supply of letters coming in from all over the country side.
   Monday as I was saying last week we went into Accra to some government buildings to pick up our National ID cards. The only reason we see the Govt forcing us to get these are to charge the Church more money, although now I have a cool little souvenir with my face on it. They had us go do finger printing and I once read about a way to smudge your print at the last second it scans. I don't know if it works but I tried it, lest some foreign nation steal my prints!
  Tuesday we traveled to the neighboring town, Odokor, for Zone Training. Nice time to see some good friends like Elder Schmeltzer (he and I have served here in our Kasoa zone the same time-7 months) Elder Robertson, my district leader from UK* also the same time as me and Schmeltzer. On the way back I stopped by the African Wal-mart to pick up some birthday steak, I still have one for tonight's dinner. Got back through traffic late and stopped at Bro. Larbie’s for the usual Tuesday dinner. His daughter Karen turned 7 on Sept 6th so we planned a late birthday for the both of us.
  Wednesday was a good "normal" day of teaching and proselytizing. Found a few new investigators. Passed by a few former less-active to see if there was any embers glowing since the last time they had the fire burning. I think we are going to need a good amount of "boy scout" water to light a few back to activity. We'll supply that though and let the Spirit spark it.
  Thursday went the way of the previous day but in the evening we encountered a whole gaggle of drunken men one after another. All wanted a miracle or blessing and just a little food or money. Two lead us to their family and wanted them baptized right then, we'll see about some follow up lessons, but in every case I\m always happy to leave our  contact info on the back of a Words of Wisdom pamphlet and tell them, Jack Daniels is no friend of theirs. All of these encounters provided some amusement for us, though it did make us late for another lesson.
  Friday we traveled to Kanishie stake center, it’s in Accra, for Mission tour!  We were the very first companionship to get there (though there is no medal for that) and so we had a little bit of time to walk around the area. Saw I few sites, got bored and went back. Soon most of the mission was there, except for a 2 zones far away in the wilderness. Elder Vinson from the Area presidency came and spoke to us. He with his awesome Australian accent was amazing! Very smart man (Degrees in mathematics) and powerful testimony of his conversion. I think he was a bit impressed with my knowledge and insight on the Old Testament. He used lots of stories and scriptures from that part of the scripture canon. I gave a pretty good recount of the tale of Samson and I was happy I have studied the OT, though most find it long and boring I enjoy it.....though it is definitely full of some "less valiant" books and scriptures. I picked up my mail from the OE's after the meeting I went home to celebrate a good day.
   Saturday woke up and went to chapel cleaning as normal, though our main effort was cleaning the font for the baptism that day. We baptized the Obengs daughter Comfort, and the other Elders all had a baptism for themselves as well. I was "John the Baptist" for all the candidates though. Later that day I took the cake mix you sent me and built it at Bro Larbies* luckily he had an oven and mixer in his little place.) Every one sung happy birthday and enjoyed American B-day cake. Bro Larbie was very happy we did it there and I was too. He doesn't have much and it meant a lot to help him with everything there. It feels good to give back to the members, even if it’s just as simple as making a cake for them and celebrating a birthday party.
  Sunday lots of investigators came to church, including Joseph(Hosa) and the other boys came. They also brought their father and sister who we have never taught. That was very beautiful and they all enjoyed the service. Should have a splash down with them at the end of the month.
So about our taxi run in last week:  I have gotten pretty good at reading the crazy drivers here. The problems is that with crazy there comes unstable pattern(chaos theory, thank you Jeff Goldblum.) And this day the pattern was broken but no bones were! Taxi just tapped my back tire and knocked down my comp, no blood or I would have demanded money. Everything is well now.

Fun Scripture I have come upon Proverbs 25v 25
and of course the food fight in Zec. 5v1.
   Thanks for all the love and support, I sure have felt it in these past few weeks and days. It helps me know I have the strength from so many, including those on high.
   With great happiness and joy.....
  Elder Steven Ray
Elder Ray was very happy to spend his bday $$ on some pizza!!
Baptism Day: Elder T., Elder Ray, Elder S., and Elder P

No comments:

Post a Comment