Monday, July 21, 2014

If That's What It Takes - July 21, 2014



As we have really cracked down on cleanliness in apartments due to the current health concerns our apartment has been subjected to some deep cleaning. I think it’s starting to make sense to the others what I was going for last transfer. We have also had some good mouse hunts these last few weeks. Last Sunday we had a good battle with one little guy for a good half hour. At first it was one elder chasing the mouse, but soon all 4 of us were trying to stomp it, smash it with pots, brooms and eventually it went down. We got the mouse traps out again and now we wait.
    So the rain has continued as usual, washing out roads and making a mess, but we have just pressed on. This past week is what they call Affliction week or the last week before we get our monthly allowance. I did well and with a tight budget I didn't have to worry. Though I still have most of the money I had wired from you, but I'm saving that.
  Thursday we had interviews with President Ostler and it was a great time with him. He was worried I'd taken offensive to this last transfer assignments, but I reassured him I was “loyal to his government"- a common saying in the mission. We both laughed over it and I told him that with malaria it’s "once bitten twice shy" or for me twice bitten. He asked me what I wanted to do or go for my last 3 transfers and I have pondered it so we'll see what happens. Anyways it was a great time and I enjoy President Ostler. Went home that night and my companion helped me learn a bit of French.
   This was on Friday and after chatting with the other missionaries at the bank we decided on the best way to use our restored funds by going out for hamburgers! Our district went to a new restaurant or at least new to us and it was there I saw they had free Wi-Fi (something you don't see a lot of in Salone) I remembered the emailing ability on the camera so I put it to the test. I'm glad to hear it worked and happy to finally get you guys some pictures. I'll try to find some reasons to go back so I can take my other memory cards that have most my pictures from the last 6 months.
   D is in line and on track for baptism this week, so it will be a big day here for us as well as for Emma. One man named K, we have been teaching, had a powerful experience this past week. He is half Lebanese/ half Sierra Leonean and 74 years old. He is a lifelong Muslim but like he tells us each visit he lost faith in it and now looks to Christianity. He is a very smart older man, knows the bible, and is very concerned about the gathering of Israel, plus he talks a lot. He hasn't come to church though, but this Sunday he came and it was a surprise to all, even himself. He told us how he did not want to come that morning and prayed and asked if it was right for him to go then the rain should stop (the rain never stops) well it did and didn't come back until late in the night. He was happy to tell everyone at church this testimony.
  Well that was the highlights from the week. As "power missionaries" we are just working hard to find and teach families right now. The efforts and prayers are paying off little by little the sweat and the tears make the vision clearer.
   Love,
      Elder Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment