Monday, May 5, 2014

And the Rains Came Down - May 5, 2014


  This week has been a wet one, but despite the showers the work went
  on swimmingly( I make myself laugh.) So yes the rainy season is fast
  upon the country which is good news because the heat and dryness are
  becoming serious problems. Farmers’ crops were starting to fail and our
  well is dry despite construction to deepen it. We have had to order
  water trucks for everything from drinking and bathing to baptisms.
  This rain is beautiful.
  Wednesday I had a chance to go on an exchange in an area that is
  been doing pretty rough. The companions have been trying to kill each
  other or run away and there is nothing happening in the actual area.
  Good Elders but sometimes two people just can't mix and get things
  together. Even after reading in the eternal marriage handbook didn't
  quench the situation. Well transfer news comes this Saturday and will
  happen next Tuesday so it may bring change. I have a feeling I may
  leave, but where I may go I haven't a clue.
  In my own area we have been seeing some great conversion with the
  investigators there. Despite the distance to travel to the chapel we
  still have a good turn out on Sunday notwithstanding the rain as well,
  which can make all but the stalwart members flee away at a dark cloud.
  One man, M walked 40mins to service after the rain. This man
  about 35 has given up smoking and come unto Christ since we started
  teaching him. We had a special fast with him on Sunday and he was so
  amazing in keeping it. When teaching him yesterday he started stopping
  all his friends and making them listen to us, telling them to leave
  their "lie,lie" church.
  His father-in-law is the area Chief and has been making steady
  progress in his conversion. He is a Seventh Day Adventist but has
  accepted The Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith; just needs to come to
  church which he knows is true. Funny man reminds me of Anthony Hopkins
  in the way he ponders on things and speaks, he even might look a bit
  like him too.
  At another appointment in the week we were with a families kids
  waiting for the parents and the kids wanted a story. After a while I
  gave in and told them a summary of True Grit (I did this a few times
  in Ghana) and the message about not seeking revenge, because it comes
  back to "bite" you too and in the end nobody is happy.
  That was the big events beside today we had "Super P-Day!" We played
  some fun games with zone members and then ate food while watching
  "Ephraim's Rescue" which was really beautiful. Makes me think about
  always being ready to be called upon and if you will take the call.
  Watching I couldn't help but want a movie about Porter Rockwell’s life
  because besides the gun-slinging he is a great example of loyalty and
  self-sacrifice. I guess Rooster Cogburn is the closest thing we have
  so far.
  Well thanks for everything, glad to hear about all the fun things
  and service the family is enjoying back home. I look forward to Sunday
  afternoon or morning to you. I'll talk more then. In the censored
  words of David Farragut,
  Darn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead!

  That's what I have decided to do, more on it later.
  Take care and be safe,
  Elder Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment