Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Blitzkrieg! -October 20, 2014



Continuing on the Newport 6 pack (or the different focus each 6 weeks.) We have almost finished everything up. 3 weeks ago was the Blitzkrieg where the entire zone of missionaries would proselyte and contact in one ward or companionship’s area for an hour or so. Not only was it fun getting to go to someone else's area each day, you would split up with a different missionary in the zone. Had some great fun with an Elder from Payson contacting gypsies in a park. Lots of people contacted that week.
   Then we had service week where each day the Zone would go take care of a service project together. 2 days we went to the Orange County food bank and sorted nearly 20 tons of tomatoes, bell peppers, apples, and donated items from Target. We cleaned out a member’s garage (then put it all back in so not sure if it accomplished anything?) While cleaning it out I found lots of old church books they were going to toss, so I got them instead, like Cleon Skousen’s 1000 years collection and History of the Church.  It was a great week.
   This past week we had what was called "Window Week".   A window is a hour where you pray, then contact every single person you see in and hour (kind of supposed to do it all the time I thought.) It was a bit of a bomb because it just didn't have the fire like the other weeks. Though while contacting a family in the Back Bay (A natural park in the area) they fed us dried seaweed, probably a first and last thing.
   This week is “Work hard/Party hard” - can't explain what that means we will do but I kinda feel like that is what should always happen in both mission and life:  Focus up and do your work, but don't forget to have joy on the way (the right kind of fun.) Besides there is a time and season for most things. Today for P-day I got a member to loan us lazer tag guns for a Zone activity so I'll let you know how it goes.
   We had a super busy week, but felt like nothing got done although we got our rewards in the end. Wednesday and Thursday we spent 80% of the day helping a member move into the adjoining ward. It took forever despite having the 5 elders from my ward (Newport 2) plus the 2 from Mesa View where they were moving to.  Super great people and we were happy to help and while moving some photography magazines I noticed one talking about the cameras and filming of the Lone Ranger. So I thumbed through just to see and there was a picture of my scene with me working on the railroad. They gave me the mag and I'll show you all soon.
  Me and Elder King (the one from Chicago) used the Mesa View elders’ bike to move between the moving locations and while going through Back Bay a tire went out in the bike (of course because every time you borrow something it breaks.) Luckily we were close to the former Bishops; who is an avid mtn and street biker. So we stopped and repaired the flat. The old bishop even let me take a few laps around on his Cannondale Prophet (has only one fork in the front) I sustain it as a true prophet ;)
  Saturday we stopped by a few investigators and less active in a blitz of our own because the week had been so busy. One is an investigator from Czechoslovakia and her less active boyfriend, another is a member’s 93 yr old mother who isn't a member and even a Muslim whose restaurant we eat at each week.
  On Sunday all of them and a few more came to sacrament meeting, even had a less active pass the Sacrament.  It was a great success and all had an enjoyable time. I met a family on vacation from Heber City (there were a lot of visitors from Utah, UEA- Utah Exodus to Anaheim.) And they knew Alex Probst (Taylor’s trainer from the Ghana Accra Mission) really well -small world where the church is concerned but I knew that
J
  Well that is all for now, oh wait... Thank you again for always remembering me and encouraging me to carry on and do good. I'm happy as ever and still love this work, as well as everyone back home.

Je taime encore,  (I love you still)
Elder Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment